Metallurgical Phase Transformations
Introduction: Types, driving force and kinetics of phase transformation in metals and alloys
Diffusional phase transformations:
- Nucleation reactions, different types of interfaces, growth mechanisms, transformation kinetics
- alpha to gamma transformation; Eutectoid transformations; Precipitation in age hardening alloys; Spinodal transformation; Massive transformnation, Ordering transformation
Diffusionless phase transformations:
- Characteristics and crystallography
- Nuclation and growth mechanisms
- Shape memory effect
- J. W. Christian; The Theory of Transformations in Metals and Alloys, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 3rd edition, 2002.
- D.A. Porter, K.E. Easterling, M. Sherif; Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys, CRC Press, 3rd edition, 2009.
- R. Abbaschian, R.E. Reed-Hill; Physical Metallurgy Principles, Cengage Learning, 4th edition, 2010.
Physical Properties of Materials I & II
Course Project and Seminar (20%)
Final exam (70%)